The United States has announced sanctions against International Criminal Court ICC President Tomoko Akane
The United States has announced sanctions against International Criminal Court (ICC) President Tomoko Akane of Japan and senior trial lawyer Abdoulaye Seye of Senegal, in a move that escalates the Trump administration's efforts to undermine the court.
US Secretary of State Marco Rubio made the announcement on Tuesday, stating that the sanctions were imposed following an order from President Donald Trump, who has long been critical of the ICC. 'The International Criminal Court (ICC) is a corrupt and fatally politicized supranational court that has maliciously abused its authority and exceeded its mandate,' Rubio said in a statement.
The ICC, established in 2002, has international jurisdiction to prosecute genocide, crimes against humanity, and war crimes in member states or if a situation is referred However, the Trump administration has repeatedly criticized the court, claiming it has no authority over the US and that its investigations into US personnel are unfounded.
'[T]he International Criminal Court (ICC) is a corrupt and fatally politicized supranational court that has maliciously abused its authority and exceeded its mandate,' Rubio added. 'We will not tolerate its assault on state sovereignty.' The sanctions include asset freezes, travel bans, and restrictions on services from US companies.
The move has sparked widespread condemnation from human rights organizations, which argue that the Trump administration's campaign to dismantle the ICC is an attempt to undermine international law and stifle efforts to combat impunity. 'The Trump administration seeks a get-out-of-jail-free card for whomever it chooses,' said Liz Evenson, international justice director at Human Rights Watch. 'We will not stand idly ' The ICC has been approached for comment, but neither President Trump nor the White House has so far commented on the sanctions.
The Trump administration has already announced sanctions on at least 11 ICC officials, including nine judges and the chief prosecutor. Those sanctions were issued in retaliation for ICC investigations into US personnel in Afghanistan and for warrants the court issued against top Israeli officials, including Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, for alleged war crimes in Gaza. Netanyahu has denied allegations of war crimes and accused the court of being motivated
The ICC's 125 member countries have been urged to withdraw from the court as part of a US government campaign to dismantle it 'brick However, many countries have condemned the move, saying it undermines international law and threatens global justice. As the pressure on the ICC mounts, human rights groups are warning that the sanctions could have far-reaching consequences for the court's ability to investigate and prosecute crimes around the world.
'We will watch with interest who heeds this call and who does not,' said a US official, speaking on condition of anonymity. 'We hope that our allies will stand up against this attempt to undermine international law.' The lawsuit filed
The ICC's future is uncertain as it faces increasing pressure from the Trump administration. However, many countries remain committed to the court's mission to uphold international law and hold those responsible for atrocities accountable. As the debate over the ICC continues, one thing is clear: the court's very existence is under threat, and the consequences of its demise could be catastrophic.
What's Your Reaction?
Like
0
Dislike
0
Love
0
Funny
0
Wow
0
Sad
0
Angry
0
Comments (0)