Tupac Murder Trial: Duane Davis 2008 Police Recording Played to Jurors

Aug 22, 2026 - 00:35
0
Tupac murder accused told police in 2008 his nephew fired fatal shots
Listen to Story ~2m
Translate Article
0:00 Ready 0:00
Key Highlights:
  • Duane "Keffe D" Davis faces trial in Las Vegas for the 1996 drive-by murder of hip-hop icon Tupac Shakur.
  • Jurors heard a 2008 recorded police interview where Davis stated his nephew, Orlando Anderson, fired the fatal shots.
  • Prosecutors argue Davis orchestrated the deadly shooting and supplied the weapon used in the ambush.

The criminal trial of Duane "Keffe D" Davis, the former gang leader accused of orchestrating the 1996 murder of rap superstar Tupac Shakur, advanced in Las Vegas on Thursday as jurors listened to a recorded 2008 police interview. In the audio recording, Davis told law enforcement investigators that he handed the firearm used in the drive-by shooting to his nephew, Orlando Anderson, who then fired the fatal shots from the vehicle.

Davis, 61, is charged with one count of murder with a deadly weapon. Although prosecutors acknowledge that Davis did not pull the trigger himself, they maintain he procured the firearm and directed the ambush in retaliation following a casino brawl earlier that night.

The 2008 Police Confession and Vehicle Breakdown

During the 2008 recorded conversation with federal and local detectives, Davis detailed the sequence of events leading up to the shooting on the Las Vegas Strip. He stated that four individuals were inside the white Cadillac when they pulled alongside the vehicle carrying Shakur and Death Row Records founder Marion "Suge" Knight.

Read More: Belgian Car Salesman Granted Prince Title Following Landmark Royal Parentage Confirmation

According to the recording, Davis explained that the weapon was passed to the backseat, where Anderson was seated alongside DeAndre "Big Dre" Smith. Anderson and Smith have both since passed away, leaving Davis as the sole surviving person from the Cadillac facing formal charges.

Defense Strategy and Memoir Statements

Defense attorneys contend that Davis's previous statements and admissions in his 2019 memoir, Compton Street Legend, were exaggerated for entertainment value and financial gain. The defense argued to the jury that the police interviews were conducted under proffer agreements where Davis sought immunity on unrelated federal drug charges.

Prosecutors countered by introducing corroborating eyewitness accounts and ballistics evidence, emphasizing that Davis's leadership role within the South Side Compton Crips drove the coordinated attack. The trial continues before the Clark County District Court as additional witness testimonies and forensic presentations proceed.

What's Your Reaction?

Like Like 0
Dislike Dislike 0
Love Love 0
Funny Funny 0
Wow Wow 0
Sad Sad 0
Angry Angry 0

SeenTick is a digital news platform bringing you the latest and most important stories from India and around the world. Explore news and updates across politics, business, technology, AI, gaming, health, sports, entertainment, science and more.

Comments (0)

User